Canadians have a special relationship with the United States. They can enter the U.S. without a passport
or visa except if they seek entry on E visa. Not only can Canadians do this, but persons who have a
common nationality with a Canadian or British subject in Bermuda, including citizens of all Canada or
Bermuda may have both passport and visa requirements waived. Also, refugees who are in Canada and
have status are eligible.

Many Canadians come into the United States on a NAFTA TN visa. This is usually open to professionals
who have a college degree. An exception exists for Management Consultants who need either a degree,
or, 5 years experience. The nice thing about this visa is you can bring the required documentation with
you to the U.S. border and receive your visa right on the spot. I help out a number of Canadian
professionals and prepare their TN package for them. It’s possible to renew the TN visa in the United
States without having to go through the Canadian-U.S. border.

Another good visa is an L visa. This visa can be acquired at certain locations in Canada where it borders
the United States. An L visa is an intracompany transferee. It’s complicated, but in general, if you own a
company or work for a company for one out of the last three years, you may qualify, and the company
buys or forms another company in the United States, it’s possible to receive an L visa. You can present
the L package at the border and receive your visa right then and there, hop on a plane, fly to your
destination in the U.S. and stay for several years. This is one of the avenues to acquire permanent


B-1 – Temporary Visitor for Business, B-2 Temporary Visitor for Pleasure, TN Trade NAFTA , H-1B
Alien in Specialty Occupation (profession), L Intra-company Transferee (executive, managerial, and
specialized personnel continuing employment with international firm or corporation)

residents) do not have visa exemption unless they first obtain a border-crossing card.

Each applicant for a BCC must appear for an interview, regardless of age. However, applicants under 14
years of age may be waived. Usually the consular officer who receives the application will check the alien
on the look out system and will usually forward a copy of the application for the border-crossing card to
citizens after the border-crossing card application is submitted. May have issues of dual intent or non
immigrant intent, but if it is denied, the visitor should receive a written rejection (written notice of denial).
Visitors for business from Mexico may qualify to enter the United States through the border under the
NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). The Mexican citizen should have some proof of
Mexican citizenship, i.e., a passport, and they should have some documentation showing a description of
their purpose for entry. This description should relate to a business and they should also present evidence
eligible for NAFTA. These usually are professions that require a college degree, except for management
consulting which has a 5 year work experience qualification.